What to Avoid When Dealing With Fire Damage in Andover
Restoring a Chimney After Fire Damage in an Andover Home
Minnesota homeowners are well aware of many risks related to fire damage. Still, one facet that is often overlooked is the cleanliness of the chimney. Every year in the US, there are over 25,000 chimney fires that cause an average of $125 million in damages. Fortunately, a little bit of fireplace care and maintenance can go a long way toward saving your home from disaster.
If a chimney or fireplace-related incident causes fire damage in your Andover home, SERVPRO technicians can come to you within hours of your call to address the issue. These IICRC-certified professionals can mitigate several different facets of fire-related damages, including odors, residues, burnt structures, and much more. The goal is to safely restore your possessions and return your home to a preloss condition.
Fireplace Safety Tips for Homeowners
The leading cause of chimney fires is a buildup of soot and creosote. This accumulation can be prevented by using manufactured logs or seasoned hardwood. These items burn more cleanly than regular logs, which save you from fire risks. If you have a metal chimney, burn manufactured logs one at a time to prevent chimney warping.
Burn simple materials
Before you start your fire, open the damper and keep it open until the fire is extinguished. Only burn wood or manufactured logs, and avoid burning items that can create toxic fumes like packing foam, junk mail, and glossy wrapping paper. Avoid burning resinous woods like pine, which can leave creosote residue in your chimney.
Keep burns slow
A slow and steady burn is safer for your home than a roaring fire. A fire that is too hot can crack your chimney, so burn a couple of logs at a time near the back of the fireplace.
SERVPRO Restores Your Living Space
SERVPRO technicians can evaluate the extent of the disaster and get straight to cleaning. The key with fire damage is to remove residues that can corrode surfaces or otherwise compromise their safety. If you have a fire get out of control and char your carpet, SERVPRO can deep-clean the area with industrial-grade vacuums and EPA-registered disinfectants, as well as directly spray the affected area with deodorizing solvents. If the carpet cannot be salvaged, SERVPRO can work with you to ensure that it can be replaced per your insurance policy.
SERVPRO of Coon Rapids / Central Anoka County is a team that is Faster to Any Size Disaster. If you need cleanup after a fire or water-related incident in your home, call (763) 712-9712 today.
Click here for more information about the city of Andover.