If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (763) 712-9712

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Keep Your Ham Lake Home Fire Free for the Holidays

12/12/2017 (Permalink)

Make sure any lights strung on your tree or in your home are in good condition with no frayed wires.

SERVPRO’s Tips to Prevent Fire Damage During the Holiday Season

As we cozy-up in the colder months, planning abounds for the Ham Lake holidays. One thing not on most to-do lists is to recover after a fire. Unfortunately, winter time and the hustle and bustle of festivities contribute to an elevated fire risk. If your list expands to include home fire recovery, we are ready to help.

Holiday decor, including the light-strung natural Christmas tree, is a frequent cause of fire damage in Ham Lake. Add some fragrant candles, and a feast of foods simmering and roasting in the kitchen to increase the fire risk even higher. We are often called to respond to a fire over the holidays caused by a tipped candle, neglected stovetop, or dehydrated holiday tree. A few common sense tips can preserve this time for family and fellowship rather than visits from the fire department and our fire damage team.

Avoid a blazing pine tree by cutting off the end and making sure that you keep it well-watered during the season. Be certain that any lights you wrap around the tiers of branches are in good repair, with no frayed wires. Always unplug the tree when you leave your home or go to bed. Keep the tree away from other sources of light or heat like space heaters or candles, and watch that pets or children do not knock it over.

Keep glowing candles safe by supervising their use and taking care not to position them near draperies or other flammable materials. Candles need to be burned only when they are firmly ensconced in a fireproof holder and kept away from high traffic areas where they could be tipped over. Placing the matches or lighters used to ignite their flames in a place where curious kids cannot reach is also a way to prevent an accidental home fire.

Kitchen fires are the most common cause of home fire events year-round, and the holidays just add to the risk by increasing the chance that the cook gets distracted and a fire results. Time pressures, and the sheer volume of burners, ovens, broilers, and plugged-in appliances all contribute to the higher fire threat when cooking for a crowd.

In the event that your best efforts to avoid a home fire during the holidays fail, SERVPRO is the answer for fast and professional restoration services. Thorough cleaning, surface recovery and repair, and expert deodorization are the hallmarks of our response. You can rely on our fast response and commitment to undertake the many tasks necessary with a high level of skill and years of experience.

If an accidental blaze does occur, SERVPRO of Coon Rapids / Central Anoka County awaits your call for help 365 days of the year. Contact us at (763) 712-9712 for a speedy delivery of quality fire damage remediation.

Click here for more information regarding Ham Lake.

Other News

View Recent Posts