If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (763) 712-9712

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Mold Damage Can Happen Anywhere In An Oak Park Area Home

11/21/2016 (Permalink)

Mold needs not only water to survive and grow, but also a dark area, and organic matter to feed on.

Mold Damage And Your Property

When you become a homeowner, the joy and freedom of such status also come with many different responsibilities. These include protecting your investment and your family's health. Mold can quickly damage your home and has been known to cause health effects in people. Mold needs not only water to survive and grow, but also a dark area, and organic matter to feed on. Organic matter can be found in many areas in the typical home, but often seems to be inorganic. This is because mold, being microscopic as an individual, can find crevices that are minute but still large enough to hold nutrients. This is especially true in concrete. Other materials that may seem inorganic, but are organic include drywall. The paper covering is made of cellulose and provides a significant amount of nutrients to mold while also being capable of retaining moisture.

If you have a home in Oak Park, thinking of mold damage affecting your home may be something you'd rather not tackle. Mold can easily spread, so your first assumption is most likely correct – it's better to hire professionals who are trained, experienced, and also certified in handling mold. Mold can't be eliminated, but it can always be reduced to safe levels.

Mold can be located anywhere in your home, but the most likely spots are where there is some source of moisture and a weak or absent source of light. Sunlight can destroy mold quickly, so areas that receive some sunlight through an open window or doorway are less likely to be affected. Darkened garages, attics, and basements can also hide mold that is then carried into the rest of the home. This is also true of sheds and other outbuildings. Closed-off rooms that are rarely used can also provide the environment needed by mold, and surprise you when you need to use the room after a long period of non-use. The same method used to protect walls and flooring from being bleached by the sun can open the pathway for mold to overtake a room.

Behind refrigerators, under large appliances that use water, heating, and cooling duct work, around window frames in shady spots, and along baseboards of walls that are opposite water lines can all be places that mold can easily grow. At SERVPRO, we can help you not only remove the mold damage and restore your home, but we can also help prevent the return of over-active mold. Using dehumidifiers, sealers, and other devices, we can work with you to make sure mold has a much harder time making a re-entry into your home.

Contact us to help you return your home to a safer, cleaner state again, where mold is under control. You can reach SERVPRO of Coon Rapids / Central Anoka County at (763) 712-9712, anytime, day or night, seven days a week.

Other News

View Recent Posts